Predictive maintenance (Pd.M.) is a proactive, scientific, and forward-thinking maintenance strategy that uses sensors, dashboards, alarms, and other advanced monitoring tools and practices to detect and prevent asset concerns or failures
Predictive Maintenance Program
Features of an Effective Predictive Maintenance Program
Robust predictive maintenance tools will be your eyes and ears, notifying your team of any concerns so you can know immediately and take direct action.
At the base of any predictive program is comprehensive tools that provide your team with the right data – with little to no human intervention.
Comprehensive dashboards allow your team to gather, analyze and share historical and real-time data you need to make proactive decisions.
Advanced predictive systems and practices will include a combination of:
- Real-time monitoring of asset conditions and performance
- Analysis of historical and real-time work order data
- The Internet of Things (IoT) connecting sensors and assets on the floor
- Accurate MRO inventory data
- Fully connected systems and tools
Getting this right will allow your system to work as your team’s eyes and ears, alerting your team of issues and helping you maintain your most critical assets.
Modern predictive maintenance is facilitated by reliable monitoring tools, automations and sensors that provide historical and real-time data without requiring human intervention. This includes:
- Ultrasound testing
- Motor testing
- Infrared imaging
- Vibration monitoring
- Fluid/oil analysis
- Motion amplification
These tools should be connected to a robust, centralized CMMS so users can share, analyze, and act upon data.
For predictive maintenance data to work, users need to be able to look at and/or access that data in their CMMS, EAM, or ERP system. That is where configurable dashboards come in, helping team members:
- Track the assets that are included in their preventive maintenance program
- Evaluate existing reactive, preventive, and predictive maintenance strategies
- Define criticality and evaluate the existing Pd.M. frequency and schedule
- Improve maintenance and operations over time